Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Riding the tide

It is in my nature to be on the thrifty side, even when I had excess money. So finding myself in a situation of needing to update my look for my wellbeing, needing to afford my own place and fill it with everything that makes a home a home, while looking after daily needs of myself and my little boy, you can imagine that I might be frozen not knowing where to start. Since I haven gotten a few essential clothes, enough for me to feel like myself, I find it time to start growing the things for my home. (Never mind the fact that I don't have my own home, or the money for it, nor does it appear to look like I will anytime soon. But you know what they say, appearances can be deceiving.) So I have decided to ride the tide for now and scoop up the good that comes my way, then wait for the next wave to bring me more. 
After picking up some beautiful towels at a linen store in gold and blue (here), I went into a furniture consignment and immediately thought "I won't find anything in here that I can afford, it's too nice." I kept looking, then I saw a painting that caught my eye. Angela (the kind lady who worked there) was sweet enough to say she would take half of the listed price. I decided it was time to let my life flow. Let the good come in as I saw it, instead of wishing it would all fit together in more stable times. I decided to get it! As I kept looking, I found the most beautiful older books. Not only would they be a good read, but also serve as splashes of color to my home. I got a whole stack of Ogden Nash books. I figured if they all made me smile, they all deserved a place in my home. Pretty green glasses, a few water colored postcards, and my biggest piece to date (by size and money) , a beautiful settee that has a natural finish and birds on the cushions. Next, at the Goodwill, I found some lovely accent pieces to tie together what I already had. Some paper balls that hang from the ceiling, a whitish "friends" frame to add pictures to, and a wooden book shelf. I was so proud of myself for letting go of my money to get things for my home that I would enjoy. But my favorite part of the entire experience was taking my time and talking with Angela and Greg and even sharing Reiki with Angela's hurt foot. It took me back in my time in Spain when what mattered  most about time most was relationships with other people. A slower pace of life, and may I add a more rewarding one.
One of my favorite movies as a little girl was "Hello Dolly;" one of my favorite lines is as follows: Dolly Levi: "Money, pardon the expression, is like manure. It's not worth a thing unless it's spread around, encouraging young things to grow. "




No comments:

Post a Comment