Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Wishing Balls

 Sometimes I feel like a tough piece of meat that is in the fridge marinating. How I long till I'll be ready to be served on a warm, clean plate along with some buttery potatoes and some leafy greens. I long to be tender with a complex flavor that only comes with time being surrounded by many different flavors.
Yesterday I had some time to myself and decided to do something to bring me life instead of running the errands that I had originally planned on. I went to 2 consignment stores to look at the beautiful treasures that lay there in wait of being admired and enjoyed. At the first store, I found a brilliant blue ceramic container with a lid. Then at the second store, my thoughts started overwhelming my being. "What do you think you are doing?" "Don't you know your bank account is dwindling?" "How dare you spend money on things for you, don't you know these are closer to retail prices (In my world of 50 cent dresses and $4 bookshelves.) Then the lady that worked there, interrupted my thoughts to say, "It's nice to see you today." "That was nice to hear," I thought, "normally only people that know you will say that." I uncross my arms and tried to open myself up to the possibilities instead of  telling myself that I was in a tough situation. I look around, telling myself to appreciate the beauty in what I see, or get ideas for things to make. There were 2 colored dishes, one blue and one green with glass lids, they were so pretty, but I couldn't bring myself to buy them. I decide to leave with out anything when I spotted them. Just by the exit door were, blue glass balls with rope around them to hang from the ceiling. I loved them. Then I saw the price tag. "I can't spend that much", I thought. Then I thought about how I had been trying to view life recently. Letting life in as it comes my way, instead of always dreaming about what it will look like in the future. So I bought them. As Tammy (Not sure if you spell it with an "y" or an "I") was checking me out, she asked, "Where are you going to put these?" I smiled and responded, "One day I will have a house, and I will put them there." She told me that she was also getting things for her "one day
 place and commented that these. "They are your wishing balls," she said. . I shared St. Teresa's Prayer (
here) and my blog with her, and she told me that I had inspired her. Little did she know that she had helped lift the dark cloud of my thoughts by her warm welcome and kindness to those around her.
As much as I will love having my house filled with beautiful color that will be my haven of peace, I'm thankful for the opportunity to add another spice to the marinade of my life. The biggest treasure is to be able to brush against each other's lives along the way and inspire each other. To know that others are going through what we are, that we are not alone. And to encourage each other to keep on.
 
Want some of your own "wishing balls," find some here.
Want to find your own treasures at the consignment shop where I discovered my "wishing balls", visit here

No comments:

Post a Comment