Thursday, June 20, 2013

Together Wherever We Go

So yesterday I spent the day with a good friend that I don't get the chance to hang out with often.
At one point in the day, due to a small hole in a container of baby food, my friend's whole neck down to her chest was covered in pureed apricot. I laughed out loud so hard, and I am not typically the type of person to laugh at someone else's expense. But there was something about it, maybe because it could have just as easily been me, or maybe because I spilt milk all over myself in the car a few days earlier, or maybe it was because we were together to witness it. To share in what seemed like a horrible thing, wipe up the mess together, and to continue on. ( I wiped the floor and she wiped her chest:) 
The same is true for the bigger "horrible things" in life, sometimes by sharing them with a close friends, they don't seem quite so bad. Especially upon looking back at them. I was once told the more embarrassing something is is at the moment, the funnier it will seem later. I think the same can be said with difficult situations. The harder it is at the time, the more you will grow and be stronger later.

Whether you are covered in apricots as you read this, or feel utterly alone without hope as you battle some "horrible thing," take heart, others have and are trodding where you've been whether you can see them or not. Keep on, wipe off the apricots if you need to, call a friend in for reinforcement if possible, but most of all keep on.

The song Together Wherever We Go from the musical Gypsy comes to mind.
"Wherever we go, whatever we do,  we're gonna go through it together. Together, wherever we go."

No comments:

Post a Comment