Monday, July 22, 2013

Gliding

I made the best purchase the other night: a $7 scooter, just my size.
I have been going on scooter rides pretty regularly for months. (But I have been walking them as my son scooters.) Now to be scootering too, I can't tell you how much a difference it makes.
When I was walking with him, our pace was determined by him. If he slowed, I would stand and wait. I would get impatient on the way back in the heat. I was more of a onlooker in the activity than a partaking in it.

In some ways this year has been like my journey from getting up, to walking, and finally to gliding.
I realized this today as I was doing figure 8s and circles on my scooter, while I was waiting for my son. It felt so free to glide, to be moving even if I wasn't progressing anymore than I would be if I was standing there. Maybe I wasn't getting any closer to my goal, but it sure felt good to move. To feel the wind. To feel free.

You see, I moved back home with my parents about a year ago and was just plain tired.  A good friend of mine (that I talked to today) helped me get up and get moving when all I yearned for was to just curl up and just lay there. There are times in life when we are fortunate to just lay there, and there are other times when we have to try, flailing though we may be. And how I have attempted it all, some good fits, some not so much. But I am so encouraged by the fact that I have been trying, moving.

As I was telling the same friend today, I finally feel like my life is flowing, whereas a year ago, I felt stuck, and it was all I could do to put one step in front of another. Then months past, and I was troding, but what a heavy trod. And now I'm still not to the end of my road, but what a glorious feeling to glide. I still don't quite feel as I set the pace for how fast I am getting to the goal, but I am enjoying the ride. And what a difference that makes!

No comments:

Post a Comment