Thursday, July 4, 2013

The rule

I had the best time today at the beach with my little boy. One of his favorite things to do is jump the waves. I stay close by, letting him have the freedom to play and face some big waves by himself. Other times, I scoop him up and fly him across a big wave. I even stood behind him some so that when the force of the waves pushed him back the strength of my legs would keep him up. But not so much that he depended on my legs to always be there. And then there were a few times when I wasn't able to get to him till after he was under for a second or he would go under and get out himself.
I wondered what would be the best rule of letting him fall or not, of being with him every step or letting  him do it all himself. And I decided that my rule should be: There are no rules,  except to stay close.
Just like life, I think it is good to have a mix. Of having people in your life to fall back on or to jump with. But it is also good to be knocked down and know that you can get back up again all by yourself. Or sometimes to be pulled out when the force against you is too great to bear. And even though you are not sure what every wave will bring, at least your out there in the midst of life instead of sitting on the sand wondering if the waves will knock you down or be a great adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment