Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The gift that lay beyond the door

"It's like forgetting the words to your favorite song.
You can't believe it; you were always singing along.
It was so easy and the words so sweet.
You can't remember; you try to feel the beat."
-lyrics to "Eet" by Regina Spektor

The beauty of completely losing yourself is in finding yourself fully again.
Compared to partly losing yourself, you may not even realize part of you is missing.
(Makes me think of The Princess Bride, mostly dead and all dead.)

I wrote the following over a year and a half ago. The journey back takes time; I know as I am still journeying. But keep on, you will be glad you did, when you look in the mirror and see the you you had always wanted to be. And in the in between, be kind to the you that is now.

"Outside was beckoning me with the sun peeping in the window
I was too busy organizing the clutter of my thoughts
If it was not for a restless frustration of my small one
I would have missed the gift that lay beyond the door
Everything was bathed in sunlight and wetness from the rain gone
And I saw my life -- the freshness after the rain
Silky blue sky, fluffy clouds, & a few lingering grey ones with light around
A deep breath
A newness
 Suddenly life was a blank canvas & I knew what colors to add."

No comments:

Post a Comment