Tuesday, July 9, 2013

My wardrobe should get it's Passport stamped

My friend Mary recently made a comment to me that since we were in our 30's we finally had figured out our style of clothes and hair that fit us best. I thought, "I must be a late bloomer, as I feel like I am just starting to grasp the essence of me expressed in my clothes and hair." For a long time I think I struggled wondering about the vanity in it.  Or other times, I would have liked to be dressed more like "Bess," but felt I couldn't afford to or was unsure of how to start.
One of my mom's best qualities is that she loves her children deeply, but stands back to let us make our own decisions in life. And when she does make a comment, she tries to be ever so gentle, so when a few months ago she quietly mentioned that I might should get some new shoes, I knew it was past time. Then taking a open eyed look at my shoes to see how bedraggled they were, I realized that was not the image I want to put out there about myself.
I think with most things in life, it can be advantageous to pursue what makes us happy, if it can add to our life without taking it over. Balance. To enjoy it but not be consumed with it. So I started the ongoing process of "Bessifying" my wardrobe. And, oh, what a pretty rainbow my closet is becoming.

I have found some beautiful dresses for 50 cents at a thrift store. Been given hand-me-down jeans and blouses for free. And then, I've spruced up some plain shirts with fabric appliques. And I've fallen in love with my lilac cotton scarf with bluebirds. And gotten a few razorback tanks. But what I am most excited about is over the next few weeks, I will be receiving packages from Thailand, India, & Israel, for custom ordered flowy pants (that with shipping didn't exceed $40 a pair) on etsy and ebay. And I'm still searching for the perfect fabric for harem pants.  
I remember being in NYC once as a young girl and even then I was drawn to the bright yet natural colors and flowy styles of Eastern cultures. Then in my 20s when I would visit Spain, I fell in love with their free spirit mixed with practicality. 
It has been so much fun growing my wardrobe to fit my lifestyle and personality. Soft and comfy filled with natural, yet vibrant color that is unique, pretty, and practical.

No comments:

Post a Comment