Sunday, July 7, 2013

Shadow

A memory came to me in the form of a tiny kitten. This little black creature appeared in our yard and started to follow our sweet Daniel cat  everywhere, even up and down the trees. The name Shadow seemed appropriate. (Look under Daniel in the picture and you will find Shadow.)
But then I realized there was more significance of Shadow than meets the eye.
In a way, this teeny kitten was my shadow, as well. Scrawny and scared, and a bit worse for wear, it came here, just as I did about a year ago. Both of us with out another place to go, both feeling unwanted, and unable to care for our basic needs. There is a hole on Shadow's right side that is still open but looks like its been there quite awhile by the look of the loss of fur. I too came with my own emotional wounds. I think of who I am today, far from scrawny and no longer fearful. The fear of life not supporting me, of being alone, of letting others down, of accepting help, of not being able to be who I wanted, has been replaced with a belief that "all is well", of being at peace and feeling confident, of knowing how to accept love, and hopeful "To dream the impossible dream."
I don't know if I will be able to keep Shadow the cat for good (as I do not yet live in my own home) but at the least she has eaten today and been talked to sweetly. At the least, I will get her to a friend who has contacts at a local shelter.
I went out just now in the dark of night to check on her and, as I figured, she stayed in the shadows.
But wouldn't it be incredible if my own home found me soon, and Shadow and I could both find a place for both of us to call home together.

No comments:

Post a Comment